Friday, June 3, 2011

Knocking the rust off...


So yeah, we had our first practice in nearly three years at the venerable MF* studios in New Brunswick last night.  I have to admit, I was nervous going in.  No calluses, about an hour of guitar playing since 2008, and absolutely no goddamned idea how to play certain songs kind of had me all shook up, for lack of a better euphemism. 

As I walked in (late, thanks to the effing GPS that sent me on a shorter route that took much longer by sedingt me through the heart of traffic!) I could hear everyone running through “Killing Time (at the Book Depository)” and I couldn’t help but smile.  When I walked into the actual practice room and saw Mel, Jay and Mark it all felt right, you know?

Miss Bee took some pictures, we played some songs and I didn’t suck too much I think.  Now believe me, I am well aware of the irony of not being able to remember how to play a song called “Old Man Conroy,” considering its subject matter.  That song always gives me trouble and probably always will.  Strange, right?

Jay actually had the three new songs tacked onto the song list and I got a chuckle out of that considering I have never played them on guitar.  Seriously.  That being said, if we can hammer it out at practice next week, we’re going to attempt one.  What the hell, right?

The only bad thing about the evening was the realization that my beloved Gibson All American I is not going to make it much longer.  If you’ve been following us and our adventures for a while you may remember back in 2006 or thereabouts, we played a show at the Rail in Boundbrook and some fucktard knocked my guitar stand over and stepped on the AAI.  I had it repaired but it’s slowly come to the point where the headstock is again coming apart.  It’s sad, and not only because I spent like $150 on it to fix the damned thing. It’s my first “big boy” guitar I bought new and now it has to be retired.  I may try and sell it for parts, because I don’t think you can throw a new neck
on it, at least based on Mel’s initial inspection. 

Alternately, maybe I’ll drop the pickups and the machine heads into my old, decrepit Flying V.  Oooh!  The bridge too!  The V is a Gibson Rip-off so it ought to accept all of this stuff just fine.  I hope!  I’ll have to talk to Mel about that…I’d love to play shows with a ridiculous white Flying V.

Anyhow, we hope to see you all at our show Friday June 10th! A mere 7 days away!  It’s at the Cheesequake First Aid squad, Rt 34 in Old Bridge, NJ.  We’ll be playing with Thomas Francis Takes His Chances and the Timid Roosevelts.  There’s supposed to be some more bands added as well.  Bands start at 7pm.  Cover will be no more than $5.

Oh in case you’re wondering, yeah my fingers hurt…but it’s a good hurt…

No comments:

Post a Comment